Along with homemade air freshener, I was looking for a more natural version of disinfecting spray. I do not like the cans of things like Lysol because of the overwhelming smell, the excess packaging, and the cost. So I went searching for a homemade replacement.
This actually came about at a good time because of the extra awareness of germs with the start of the pandemic earlier this year (2020). I was especially happy to find this homemade version at such a time!
Here are some ways I use this spray:
- Spray on clothing and hang to air out to get another wear out of it before washing.
- Spray directly on door knobs, handles, hard and soft surfaces to freshen and get rid of germs.
- Use on phones, remotes and other devices. (*When using on devices, spray onto a cloth and wipe rather than spraying directly onto the device.)
- Keep a bottle in the car and spray on car handles, steering wheel and items that are leaving the car to go into the house.
- This is a quick way to sanitize masks if you’re running errands and need to wear them into multiple locations. Just take a bottle with you in the car.
This recipe is for a 16 ounce bottle like these that I found on Amazon, but if you’d like to make multiple bottles and want to go smaller, just cut this recipe in half or make the whole batch and pour into two separate 8 ounce bottles like these.
Homemade Disinfecting Spray
- 15 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 15 drops lavender essential oil
- 15 drops lemon essential oil
- 30 drops melaleuca (tea tree) essential oil
- Alcohol such as Everclear, plain vodka or rubbing alcohol (*What I’ve found is that alcohol that is 70% or greater is good at killing germs.)
- ½ teaspoon hydrogen peroxide
Add essential oils to a 16 ounce spray bottle. Add hydrogen peroxide. Fill the bottle the rest of the way with alcohol, leaving a small space at the top so it will mix. Put on the spray nozzle and shake to mix.
This is a fresh and clean smelling spray that I like using to disinfect and sanitize all surfaces in our home. And it’s so quick and easy to refill that I have no reason to purchase the commercial products anymore!
I get my essential oils from doTERRA. If you have any questions about essential oils, their uses, or the doTERRA company, I invite you to comment below! You can also see and purchase the complete doTERRA product line here.
I would love to talk with you one-on-one about natural solutions and offer you a free sample and booklet! Just fill out this short form, and we’ll be all set!
Let us know in the comments below if you try this disinfecting spray and your favorite ways to use it!